Thursday, March 17, 2011

Word Play: Six-Word Headlines

If you enjoy writing, there's a pretty good chance you've heard of things like "The Six-Word Challenge." The most famous of these is Earnest Hemingway's "Baby shoes for sale, never used." It is amazing how just six words can bring such immediate and heavy emotion.

As a twist on that, I thought I would jot down a six-word headline in which the acronym tells a different story. This has three components to it: It must be six words, It must create a "non-jibberish" acronym, and The acronym must contradict the headline being touted. Don't ask why. This is something I do when the urge pops in my head.

So, quickly, I came up with this one:

Hero Escapes Deadly Ice-Encrusted Dagger
(HE DIED)

So, now you give it a try! Make up your own or feel free to improve on mine using the same six letters in your acronym!

No comments:

Post a Comment