Monday, October 4, 2010

Once around the block...

I hate writer's block.  It is a subconscious (and sometimes VERY conscious) voice that tells us we can't write, don't know what to write, don't want to write, and a myriad of other tall tales that keep us from doing what we actually desire to do the most - WRITE!  Write something. Write anything.  But no, that blank page just stares at me.

I've thought many times about how to start my next novel, but no matter where I want to go, taking the first few steps feels like swimming through quick-drying cement - or what I would imagine that to be like.  I've read dozen of articles and several books that deal with the block in one way or another.  Of course, the most common advice is "keep writing anyway." Yeah, nice theory.

Well, okay, yeah, it actually works if you are at least willing to give it try.  I can tell that my experience is that it works by forcing me to *not* work.  I make notes - places, people, plot lines, etc.  I have no idea how they tie together, and I know that they don't even have to tie together.  Heck, they don't even have to make the final cut.  But at least it is something.  All too often, though, I get nowhere fast.

So, sometimes I try just to make a list of questions I'd like to answer:  How will so-and-so die?  Why does so-and-so move away? Should the main character move away?  What would happen?  Why would s/he move?  How do they feel?  Do they ever see their friends again?  How does that impact what is written (or not written)?  What color is so-and-so's shirt? 

Writer's block sucks.  But, if you admit you have the problem, you've taken the first step in getting around it.  Then, put one foot in front of the other.  You will laugh, cry, pull your hair out, and (hopefully) eventually come through the other side with the kick-start you needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment